|Not every conference is called to order with an Alpine horn, but this one is. Photo from MOSES.|
Attendees represented an incredible variety of people, farm sizes, crops produced, and levels of experience, and MOSES did a fantastic job providing a variety of workshops to match. Everyone from new farmers on small rented acreage to old hands who farm hundreds of acres were there and could learn something new at the conference.
|There was a great exhibit hall full of seed companies, tools, resources for farmers and more. Photo from MOSES.|
We split up to cover more workshops. Between the two of us, we hit:
- Vegetable Crop Rotation for Nutrient Cycling & Disease Suppression
- Alternative Small Fruits
- Wholesale Markets
- Identification & Control of Insect Pests in the Garden
- Social Media
- Managing Water & Fertility in the Hoophouse
- Capitalizing the Market Farm the First Five Years
- Organizing for Success: Beginning Farmer Resources & Coalition Building
My favorite by far was the workshop on how to navigate the first five years of farming. The two guys who taught the class have been doing CSAs for over 20 years. I took away more clarity on my goals and some genuine affirmation what we are on the right track.
We really want to bring the whole family next year.